Dental Crowns in Downers Grove | Jackson Family Dental
Dental crowns may be just what you need if you’re looking for a way to restore your smile and improve the functionality of damaged or decayed teeth. In the charming town of Downers Grove, Illinois, Jackson Family Dental’s team of skilled and experienced dental professionals is ready to help you achieve your dental goals with state-of-the-art technology and innovative techniques.
Dental crowns provide a versatile and practical solution to protect your natural tooth after minor chips and cracks, root canals, dental implants, or large fillings. They can restore your teeth to their former glory, giving you the confidence to smile and eat comfortably again.
They are an effective way to restore a tooth’s function and appearance while protecting it from further damage. Let’s explore the benefits of porcelain crowns, the procedure, and how to care for your crown to ensure it lasts for many years.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Crowns?
Porcelain crowns have many benefits, making them a popular choice for dental restorations.
- – They are highly durable and long-lasting and can withstand normal wear and tear.
- – They are designed to match the natural color of your teeth.
- – They are highly resistant to stains and discoloration.
What is the Procedure for Getting a Crown?
Getting a porcelain crown typically involves two visits to your dentist. During the first visit, your dentists, Drs. Jackson and Wascher will examine your tooth and determine whether a crown is necessary.
If a crown is needed, they will prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damage and shaping it to accommodate the crown. Next, your dentist will take an impression of the tooth to create the crown in a dental laboratory.
While the dental lab creates the crown, your dentist will place a temporary crown on your tooth to protect it. Read here to learn more. Once the permanent crown is ready, you will return to your dentist for the second visit. During this visit, your dentist will remove the temporary crown and replace it with the permanent one.
Drs. Jackson and Wascher will ensure that the crown fits correctly and that your bite is aligned properly. Once the crown is in place, your dentist will provide care instructions to ensure that your crown lasts for many years.
How do I Care for a Dental Crown?
Caring for your porcelain crown is essential to ensure that it lasts many years. Here are some tips to help you care for your crown:
- Brush your teeth and floss regularly: Your porcelain crown requires excellent oral hygiene to keep it clean and free from plaque and bacteria.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods: Porcelain crowns are strong and durable, but hard or sticky foods can still damage them. Avoid chewing on ice, hard candy, or other objects. Additionally, avoid sticky foods like caramel or chewing gum, which can pull on the crown and cause it to become dislodged.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you participate in sports or other activities that could result in a blow to the mouth, wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth and your porcelain crown.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Regular dental checkups are essential to ensure that your crown and the surrounding teeth and gums are healthy. Your dentist can also check the crown’s fit and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that it remains in place.
How Long Do Dental Crowns Last?
Crowns last between 5-15 years, depending on the amount of wear and tear and your oral health habits. After we place your dental crown, you’ll want to avoid grinding your teeth, biting your fingernails, and opening packages with your mouth. Doing this will help your height last for as long as possible. Follow this link to learn more.
What are the Different Types of Dental Crowns?
There are several types of dental crowns, each with its unique advantages and disadvantages. The most common types of dental crowns are:
- – Porcelain crowns
- – Ceramic crowns
- – Gold crowns
- – Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM)
- – Zirconia
- – Composite/Resin crowns
Your dentist will help you choose the best type of crown for your individual needs based on factors such as the tooth’s location, the extent of damage, and your budget.
Get Your Dental Crowns in Downers Grove
If you are considering a porcelain crown, schedule an appointment at Jackson Family Dental to determine whether it is the right option. With proper care, your porcelain crown can last many years and help you smile and eat confidently.
Call your dentist at (630) 963-6750. We look forward to hearing from you.